Sep 12, 2011

Post-op Follow Up

I had my post-surgery follow up appointment this morning. My shiny new Windows Phone makes waiting in the horrible waiting room so much less awkward. You see, the geniuses who planned the clinic set it up so the ob/gyn clinic is right next door, with the reception for both clinics in the middle of the two. So when I'm waiting for my appointments, I get to hear people on the other side of the desk booking ultrasound appointments and scheduling their prenatal care. The grass is always greener, right?

While I was waiting, a female soldier sat across from me in the waiting room. A few minutes later her husband came from the back holding a biohazard bag and exclaimed rather loudly, "Wow. That was awkward." Hahaha! I don't think he expected me to be in the waiting room. His wife handed something to him and he said, "Should I go back in the bathroom and do that?" It was all I could do to keep myself from laughing. Poor guy. I wanted to tell him that it was okay, that we'd all been there. Oh, the joys of infertility....

My follow up appointment went well. I wasn't expecting to find out anything I didn't already know since I had already seen my RE for the alien plastic two weeks ago. What I wasn't expecting was to be seen by the idiot resident who left the plastic inside me! At first I thought Dr. C. sent her in so that she could apologize to me but I was wrong. She didn't even bring it up! She checked out my incisions and made a remark about my bruising--  if only she'd seen me last week! Ouch.  When she was done checking me out she brought in Dr. C. and we discussed what our new plan of action is going to be.

If you remember my first post that I made after surgery, you will remember that the laparoscopy revealed a substantial amount of endometriosis on my left side. I was informed that my left ovary  is covered with endometriosis and is adhered to my pelvic wall at such an angle that my left fallopian tube is partially blocked. It was too risky to remove the adhesions because of their location and removing the endo from my ovary is not an option at this point, as they would likely have to take part of an otherwise healthy ovary along with the affected tissue.  As if that wasn't enough, today I found out that my left side is basically worthless and that my left tube is also partially adhered to my bowels. As much as this totally sucks, it is so incredibly refreshing to finally have some answers. EVERYTHING from our infertility, my spotting before periods, my intense menstrual cramps, my painful intercourse and the incredibly painful bowel movements during my period finally makes sense!

So, where do we go from here? Dr. C. put my mind at ease and said that my pain is normal since I'm still healing and that we won't worry about it unless I'm still in pain after six weeks. Although the majority of my endometriosis has been removed, my left side is basically unhealthy and unreliable. While I may in fact produce follicles on my left side, there's no guarantee that the eggs will go where the need to go since my tube is partially blocked. The good news is that my right side is perfectly healthy and always produces rock star follicles. Dr. C. is confident that now that our chances of conception are higher now that most of the endo is gone. Mike and I are going to continue to do ovulation induction but stick with timed intercourse for now and see where that leads us. Who knows, we may end up doing a few more IUI cycles too.

I really have a gut feeling that we're going to end up needing to do IVF to finally get our baby. I'm praying, of course, that this is not the case but I can just feel it. We're still on the waiting list for the IVF program through our military hospital and as of right now we won't be able to cycle until July of next year. They've told us that there is a good chance we could cycle in as soon as 6 to 8 months though, which would be fantastic providing we have the money saved by then. For now, we've decided to stick with the infertility clinic on post and see how the next few months go. Let's hope that we won't even have to decide between infertility clinics but instead choose between an OB or midwife!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a ride! I wish they could have diagnosed your endo earlier and saved you all the stress of TTC "unexplained," but I am so glad you have some answers now. I'm really excited for you guys to start trying post-op! You guys have been through so much and I'm praying that this works for you, no IVF necessary!! Also sending lots of healing vibes. I hope the pain goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!