Sep 13, 2011

Perspective.

Yesterday I realized that perspective plays a huge part in surviving infertility. Just when I was feeling sorry for myself after my followup and feeling jealous of those with IVF coverage, I got an e-mail from a lady I've been working with an auction donation for the Wounded Warrior Project, basically an internet stranger. She apologized for not writing sooner and told me she had had emergency surgery over the weekend. She thought it was appendicitis but it turned out that she had extremely large masses on her ovaries. The doctors removed both her tubes and her ovaries. She's 28 and does not have any children. Obviously she's crushed. I had no idea what to say in response but obviously she felt the need to reach out to me for some reason so I told her that I could somewhat relate, being that I recently had surgery for infertility reasons. I told her about RESOLVE and that when she's ready, she should seek out a support group or an online message board where women can relate to what she's going through, particularly since it will be difficult for her to find comfort and understanding in the ranks of extremely fertile military wives.

 I just can't imagine what she's going through. Menopause at the age of 28 with no chance of ever having any biological children. I never thought I would be so grateful to have one healthy ovary and tube. While I may never get pregnant I at least have a halfway decent shot at it, whether we need to use ART or not. It really put things into perspective for me.

Mike and I talked last night about what our plan is going to be this cycle and I think we've decided to do another IUI in conjunction with the Femara/Ovidrel as long as my follicles are on my right side.  At this point, we want to do everything possible to increase our chances. We've been trying for 32 months. We've waited long enough.  Right now I am CD 28 with no AF in sight. I'm guessing that the surgery messed with my ovulation day and that's why she's delayed since there is absolutely no chance I can be pregnant. As soon as she shows up, I'll call and get my next prescription for Femara and we'll be back in the baby business!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!