May 14, 2012

My Natural Birth Plan

My birth plan has been submitted to and discussed with my midwife. She's totally on board with everything and most things are already standard procedure in her practice, which means the on call midwife who delivers me will be too.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared about labor and delivery but Mike and I plan to attend a natural child birth preparation class next month, which will hopefully help put my fears and anxiety to rest. I'm currently reading Natural Hospital Birth and Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Natural Childbirth, which have been incredibly informative and eye opening.


Birth Plan for Megan H                                                              Estimated Due Date: 17 August 2012
Michael H, Husband                                                                   Christina M, ARNP, CNM

  • We are attempting to have a natural, un-medicated birth without medical or chemical interventions.
  • I plan on not being induced until after 42 weeks, in accordance with ACOG’s recommendations.

During labor, we would like:
  • To have minimal monitoring and limited vaginal exams.
  • To eat and drink as desired.
  • To have a saline lock instead of an IV.
  • To move around as much as possible.
During labor, we would like to avoid:
  • Artificial rupture of membranes.
  • Suggestions of chemical interventions, to include anesthetics or analgesics.
  • Any references to “things moving along”, “pain”, “hurt”, etc.
During delivery, we would like:
  • To push at my own pace (Mother-directed pushing).
  • To birth in any position, especially standing or squatting.
  • To use warm compresses, food-grade oils, and perineal support to help prevent tearing.
  • To lower the bright lights at the moment of birth.
During delivery, we would like to avoid:
  • Loud coaching or counting during pushing.
  • Pushing while lying on my back.
  • The use of vacuum or forceps.
  • An episiotomy; I prefer to tear naturally.
Following birth, we would like:
  • To delay the cord clamping as long as possible, until it stops pulsating at the least.
  • My husband to cut the cord.
  • To have baby placed on Mother’s abdomen immediately.
  • The APGAR to be tested while the baby is on my chest.
  • To delay any non-emergent newborn procedures, including the vitamin K shot, the PKU heel stick, eye prophylaxis, bathing, measuring, weighing, and foot printing until after our bonding period.
  • To bathe her ourselves.
  • To breastfeed exclusively. (No bottles, pacifiers, syringes, formula, etc.)To meet with an IBCLC or a local La Leche League Leader as soon as possible.
  • To retain my placenta for encapsulation.

Following birth, we would like to avoid:
  • Clamping or cutting the cord before the cord stops pulsating.
  • The Hepatitis B shot and eye ointment.
  • Pitocin during the birth of the placenta.
  • Wiping or rubbing off of the vernix.
Back-up Birth Plan (for a Cesarean Delivery)
Instead of a cesarean, I would like to return home or remain in the hospital for monitoring if my labor fails to progress. I do not consent to a cesarean delivery based on fears of what might happen to my baby if we don't. I only consent to a cesarean delivery if my baby is showing distress on the monitors and if there is a time-sensitive emergency. If there is time for me to wait for an operating suite, watch a consent video, or wait for my personal doctor to arrive to do the surgery, then it is not a time-sensitive emergency.  I would like to obtain a second opinion if my physician recommends a c-section.
During the prep, I would like:
  • To have my husband present.
  • To be introduced to everyone in the OR and have their roles explained.
  • To be kept informed of what is taking place.
  • I do not consent to tying down my arms unless I am unable to control them.
  • I do not consent to tranquilizers, sedatives, or amnesiac drugs.
During the procedure, I would like:
  • To have only necessary staff present
  • For the atmosphere to be as gentle and unhurried as possible.
  • To delay the cord clamping as long as possible, until it stops pulsating at the least, so that my baby gets all of its cord blood and so that my baby will not need oxygen from a different source.
  • To have the baby be immediately placed skin-to-skin with an uncut umbilical cord on my bare chest and covered with blankets for warmth, unless there is an unusual situation.
During the repair, I would like:

  • To keep the baby skin-to-skin on my chest or in my arms instead of using a warmer, even throughout suturing, recovery, etc.
  • The APGAR to be tested while the baby is on my chest.
  • To keep the vernix on my baby’s skin so that I can rub it in myself.
  • My husband to cut the cord.
  • To delay any non-emergent newborn procedures, including the vitamin K shot, the PKU heel stick, eye prophylaxis, bathing, measuring, weighing, and foot printing.
    The opportunity to breastfeed the baby immediately, even while the surgeons are finishing their work.
  • To retain my placenta for encapsulation.

In recovery, I would like:

  • To be visited by an IBCLC or a local La Leche League Leader as soon as possible.
  • To keep the baby with me at all times.
  • To delay the baby’s bath, weight, and other measurements until after our bonding period.





    And a big congratulations to Jessica, whose twins made their very early appearance last Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Wow this is so interesting! There is so much in this birth plan that I've never even heard of. I've got some research to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have questions about anything and why I want/don't want certain things please feel free to ask!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I start my natural childbirth classes next month too, eek! All happening so quickly now!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!