Dec 1, 2011

A Tale of E-pee-ic Proportions

Last night was my embryo transfer. Mike arrived home from work and we left for the clinic just in time to fight with rush hour traffic.  I knew I had to go in with a full bladder but I had been warned by a friend not to let it get so full that it was uncomfortable, so I used the loo right before we left since I have the bladder of an 80 year old man.  After about 30 minutes of sitting in traffic, I knew I was in trouble--I had to effing pee. We couldn't stop anywhere because we were already at the risk of being late but I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it until after my embryo transfer. So, I did the only irrational rational thing that a crazy, hormonal lady would do: I peed in a bottle in the back seat of my car. Yes, you read that right. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

As I climbed over the seat, Mike handed me an empty Gatorade bottle and wished me luck. I said, "It's okay, I've done this before."  Apparently after 7.5 years of marriage there are still things that Mike doesn't know about me. Ha! Luckily it was already dark so no one had any idea why I was squatting in the floor board of my back seat. Besides, this is the West Coast so I'm sure people have seen faaaaar crazier shit than this. I had a comforter in the back that we use to cover the seat when we have the dogs with us so I put that under me, in case of any drippage and there was drippage.  Grossed out yet?  Mike handed me my purse so I could dig out my hand sanitizer and I left the pee blanket and bottle in the back for him to deal with later, since I was going to be on bed rest. Aren't I a nice wife?

I wish the pee story ended there but it doesn't.  Remember the whole 80 year old man bladder? Yeah. By the time we arrived at the clinic 30 minutes later, I had to pee again. We could hear the nurses moving around in the back but no one was at the front desk to help us. I was thinking, "Dear God in Heaven, do they want me to piss myself?!"  About five hours later (Okay, it was only about five minutes but it felt like five hours!) the nurse came out, checked us in and informed us that the sonographer was running late. I groaned and Mike could see the pleading, pathetic look on my face so he asked the nurse if I had time to use the restroom before my appointment. The middle-aged nurse immediately went from sweet and gentle to torturess extraordinaire--she wouldn't let me pee. I'm sure the other couple in the waiting room were having a good laugh over the 27 year old woman doing the potty dance.

Now, here comes an admission that I'm not all that proud of (and you thought it couldn't get worse than the Gatorade bottle, right?)  I waited until the nurse went to the back.....and I snuck to the bathroom. There, I admit it.  In my defense, the sonographer was still MIA and I only went a little bit. Ah, it was blissful. About five minutes later, the sonographer finally arrived and I was almost immediately called back to the ultrasound room to have my bladder checked. My palms got sweaty and I felt like a kid going to the principal's office. "Oh shit, she's going to know that I just peed. Shit, shit, shit!" So I laid back on the table, she squirted me with warm goo and I prepared myself to be scolded.  My 80 year old man bladder was too full. Ha! So I waddled across the hall, clinging to the pink paper sheet around my waist and was instructed to empty my bladder 1 1/4 cups. Do you know how hard it is to pee without emptying your entire bladder? For serious.

After I was done I waddled back into the room, was squirted with more warm goo and the sonographer told me that I needed to empty by another 1/4 cup. Are you kidding me? As if the first time wasn't hard enough now I had to pee and almost immediately stop again.  Are these sonographers trained in the art of torture or what? I did as commanded though and before I could say I-hate-you, it was time to do my transfer! 

Who knew that it would take four people, working in simultaneous harmony, to knock me up?  The sonographer, the RE, the embryologist and the nurse were all in my business last night--I think it was a new record for me. The most uncomfortable part of the procedure was when my doctor shifted the speculum to straighten out my cervix--I was so worried about peeing on him! I couldn't see the ultrasound screen during the procedure but Mike was watching the entire time while holding my hand and rubbing my head.  He said that our embies looked like two shooting stars as they whizzed into my uterus and disappeared. My biology dork was in awe.


Resting for 30 minutes after the ET
We transferred two beautiful "premium quality" (Dr.'s words, not mine) expanding blastocysts. A little googling told me that an expanding blastocyst is the "best" embryo quality you can have, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Hopefully they're snuggling in and already beginning to hatch. Unfortunately, none made it to freeze so these two are our little champions.  Dr. gave me strict instructions to take it extremely easy for the next 72 hours--no lifting anything over five pounds (sorry kitties!) no orgasms (sorry husband!) and no strenuous activity.  He assured me that I wasn't going to "shake the babies out" and that there wasn't much science to back up his mandated rest period, but that he feels it's in the best interest f the embryos.  Apparently opening doors is strenuous because Mike was told that he even has to do that for me. You should have seen him carrying my purse last night--ha.  The paper that was sent home with us had instructions for me to travel home laying (lying?) down in the back seat but with the Gatorade bottle and pee blanket back there, that wasn't going to happen. I rode home in the passenger seat instead which was fine with me since it has butt warmers. We grabbed dinner at Panera (it's tradition now!) and I was able to eat real food for the first time in two days. I hope and pray that PIO and I are becoming friends now, although last night's shot was borderline unforgivable and I still had to take the maximum allowed dosage of Tums yesterday.

My doctor just celebrated his 25th anniversary of practicing IVF so he is kind of old school. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of my baby blasts because they don't like to "expose" the embryos for the purpose of picture-taking. So, we'll pretend that these little blasts below are Thing 1 and Thing 2, they all look the same at this stage anyway, right? I'm PUPO! Beta is next Friday.

20 comments:

  1. Congrats! Terrific news! Sorry the full bladder thing sucked for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAH. Oh my goodness. That is an awesome story. And I hear ya on the bladder emptying. For a few other procedures I had to have a full bladder for some pictures, then half full for some (so had to stop mid stream) and then more....what a PITA. I think they all are probably laughing in their heads when they make women do that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I was extremely nauseous yesterday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved the pee story! Looks like everything went great and im crossing my fingers and toes for you and little beans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a successful transfer and two great embabies! Hoping for your BFP next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great pee story hehe :) Congratulations on your two rock stars! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot stop laughing! That sounds so painful- so glad it is over for you and your little babes are snuggling in! Looking forward to next Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyy!! Those are some beautiful little blasts =) I'm so excited for you and Mike! Oh, and I feel for you with the whole pee-trauma... OHSS aside, I think it was probably the most painful part of the whole process! I'm glad it's over for you though, and I can't wait to see the results! Lots of good thoughts heading your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA You literally made me laugh out loud, only because I can picture myself doing the exact same thing ( I may have peed in a cup before, maybe). So happy that you got two great embryos!! Now they need to snuggle in tight for the long hall!! Praying this is it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is flippin' hilarious. Absolutely hilarious! Glad you got two beautiful embies back in 'ya... fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with those little embabies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with those precious little embabies!! I remember feeling extremely uncomfortable because my bladder was so full at my embryo retrieval to the point where I was worried I was going to pee on my doctor during the transfer. Luckily he had a catheter waiting to make me feel better right after! It sounds like your embabies were perfect quality...I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too stinkin funny!! LOL

    Other than the monumentally uncomfortable bladder it sounds like things went as well as they could've! Hoping to hear some good news next week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, totally laughing reading your post. I waited to even drink anything until I got there and I had to pee so bad. The nurse let me go, but told me to only let a little out. Ah the things you go through during this all. Beautiful embryos, enjoy the bedrest and do not take too hot of a shower. Besides the other instructions you already got, my doc told me this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh jeez, what a crazy night! Hilarious!

    Also, we are transfer buddies, I had my day 3 transfer thursday morning. Our first beta is Friday, but they won't give us the results until Monday, at our second beta.

    Good luck, praying for your lil guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got everything crossed for you

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved your story...I'm so happy for you. I'm hoping and praying Thing 1 and Thing 2 will get comfortable and stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awfully quiet over here the past couple days. Hope you are doing well! I've enjoyed your blog, and shared an award with you from my blog! Jen

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!