There's an epidemic in America right now. We have an
unnecessarily high c-section rate and birth is no longer seen as a
natural, physiological process, but rather as a medical ailment and
something that needs to be treated or cured. For anyone who is pregnant or trying to become pregnant, I highly suggest you watch Pregnant in America and The Business of Being Born. They are both extremely eye opening. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth are really great resources as well.
My goal is a natural, un-medicated water birth. My hospital is the only one in the state that allows water births! I know some of you are probably thinking I'm crazy. "What? Natural?! We'll see...." "Why not just get an epidural?" "Why put yourself through that?" And my favorite, "It's not like you get a medal for going natural..." You know what? Women may not get a medal for going natural but they sure as hell deserve them! You get medals for running a marathon. Marathons are mentally and physically challenging, just like birth. Why not give credit where credit is due?!
Why I want a natural birth:
- I think that women in America are given far too little credit for their abilities to birth babies. We are made to do this; I am made to do this.
- After everything it's taken me to get to this point (See: New? Start here.) I would really like to experience the natural birth process.
- I want to experience that total rush of oxytocin, the baby high, when I birth my baby. Drugs can interfere with this natural occurence.
- Every drug given during the birthing process will cross the placenta to the baby. I want to see an awake, alert baby when I meet her for the first time. AND since I'm encapsulating my placenta (maybe I need to do another post on this topic?!) I would rather not have any of that stuff in there.
- A natural birth will lessen the chance of a cascade of interventions, decreasing my risk of needing a c-section.
Of course all this goes out the window if mine or baby's safety is jeopardized. The ultimate goal is obviously to have a healthy baby safely but due to my low risk pregnancy there is absolutely no reason to think that my birth plan can't become a reality. Mike is totally on board with my birth plans and has been so caring and inquisitive. Yesterday, when we were taking a walk with our girls, he asked me what kinds of things I would like him to say to me during labor and which words I would find comforting and motivating. I know he's going to be a great sense of support for me during labor! However, last week we decided to hire a doula to also assist and support us during birth. Why? Well, we're first time parents and have no clue what to expect. I'm more afraid of the unknown than I am of labor pains. Back in the day, women often labored with the support of other experienced women or attentive midwives who were able to help them through the pain and all the scary unknowns. This is where a doula comes in. With her help, I am more likely to be successful in my natural birth hopes! She will not take Mike's place in the delivery room. She will, however, be an additional support person for me as well as for Mike.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Birth Doula
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.
DONA International doulas are educated and experienced in childbirth and the postpartum period. We are prepared to provide physical (non-medical), emotional and informational support to women and their partners during labor and birth, as well as to families in the weeks following childbirth. We offer a loving touch, positioning and comfort measures that make childbearing women and families feel nurtured and cared for.
Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
- reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
- Feel more secure and cared for
- Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- Have greater success with breastfeeding
- Have greater self-confidence
- Have less postpartum depression
- Have lower incidence of abuse
I met with my doula yesterday to go over my hopes for birth and what I expect from her. I chose her based on a number of factors--she's a friend, she's experienced but not yet certified (so we can actually afford her!) and she has a history of infertility, which makes it much easier to talk to her about our journey so far. We went over my birth plan, discussed my fears and anxieties, she explained her role in the delivery room and shared some stories about the hospital were I'll be delivering. I am so pumped to birth this baby now! I can't wait to meet her, to nurse her and I know my family and friends are very excited to learn her name! I can't believe that I will be full term tomorrow. We are so close to meeting our little miracle! I hope that I get the birth experience I'm dreaming of. If I end up needing help with the pain I hope it will be only after I have tried everything else first.
In other news...Mike's orders came through yesterday so it's finally official--we were moving to Fort Rucker! By 10 October we will be officially be southerners. Okay, not really...I can't imagine ever considering myself a southerner (I'm actually very nervous to live down south!) but we can pretend. :)
I really respect your decision, and I know you can do it. I never wanted to go med-free--pushing for 1.5 hours without an epidural was never the plan. Getting an epidural (times two!) "too late" and having them not work was never the plan...but it was doable. It was painful, and I was not prepared at all to do it naturally (it sounds like you're 1000x more prepared than I was!), but I did it.
ReplyDeleteAfter the delivery, I remember wishing that my epidural(s) had worked. However, it wasn't because the pain from the actual labor/delivery was so terrible (though it was pretty awful lol!), it was because I ended up having complications, and I think my episiotomy, two vacuum assisted births, and my doctors' hands/arms reaching into my ute would have been less awful if I had been medicated...
That said, I really feel that the pain from the normal part of my labor was awful, but it was bearable. It's funny that something so natural could hurt so much, but it IS natural, and it's not going to kill you (no matter what you think at the time lol!)
Anyway, you are an amazing woman to go into this with this mindset. I know you can do it--and I'm so excited for you!!
Almost there. Love your blog. I'm right there with you and trying/hoping for as natural a birth as possible.
ReplyDelete