![]() |
| My senior year |
I just got the invite to my 10 year high school reunion, which is laughable for a number of reasons.
#1 I can't believe I've been out of high school that long.
#2 I can count on one hand the number of people that I have any sort of desire to see again.
#3 The majority of the people from my HS still live in the same area--why are they going to pay money to hang out when they can see each other whenever they want?
#4 F-town''s gossip mill hasn't changed at all. Some how, some way, they found out I am pregnant. Creepy.
I laugh when I get random friend requests from people from HS on Facebook. I wasn't friends with you then, why would I want to be friends with you now? Same thing applies to my reunion. With the exception of a few people and activities, I pretty much hated high school and couldn't wait to get out of that town. When my dad retired from the Army we moved to a small (i.e. not even a stop light) town. My graduating class was something like 150 people, I think. I was in band (First Chair Flute all four years) Varsity volleyball (starter all four years) Jr. Beta and Beta Club Presidents, Student Council President and I'm sure there's some other things I'm forgetting too. I was pretty much a dork and I got along with the guys much better than the girls, which only pissed the "in crowd" off even more. They'd laugh at my pink converse and Fraggle Rock shirt. I got into incredibly heated arguments with ignorant kids about homosexuality (see? I was liberal even in HS!) and got in a fight with a boy for abusing a kitten, who I rescued and took home. I was pissed when I was nominated for Homecoming Court because that wasn't my thing at all. Surprised? Haha. Unless it was volleyball season and they needed me on the court, I was pretty much doing my own thing despite the real-life Mean Girls in my school. The people who made my life hell, the ones I have no desire to see, are the ones who are still stuck there. Joke's on them, I'd say.
What about you? What kind of person were you in high school? Were you in the "in" crowd or were you an alternative kid? Have you or will you attend your high school reunions?
![]() |
| Me and my boy, Robert Smith, my junior year of H.S. |


HA! We considered going to our ten year reunion last summer- mostly because we went to the same high school and had many of the same friends. Buuut, I was on between ER and ET for IVF number one.
ReplyDeleteI have no desire to go to any HS reunions! I wasn't really friends with anyone in my grade, so it would be pointless -- all my friends were older. I, like you, was a fine arts nerd -- theatre, choir and vocal jazz, and I loved every minute of it! All of my friends were in those groups so we had a blast. I was lucky to go to a pretty liberal school with a ton of ethnicities, and we had quite a few "out" gay students. I also hate random FB requests from people I hardly knew in HS. Um, if I wasn't friends with you in HS, why would I want you to know all about my current life? DECLINE!
ReplyDeleteI'll go against the grain here. I had a blast at my 10 year reunion. 10 years is a good amount of time for people to mature and evolve. I was pleasantly surprised by how everyone behaved themselves and how the "cool kid club" mingled with the drama people, jocks, dweebs, (insert your HS stereotype group), etc. It was actually a really good time. Really a pleasant surprise to be honest.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed high school. I went to school with the same people K-12 but it was in DC which meant that we don't have a small hometown where you can easily hang at the local bar. People scattered at graduation and 95% of my graduating class went to college. So it was nice to see everyone again - people I have known since Pre-K but hadn't seen since graduation.
I guess I feel like it is a bit unfair to assume that everyone is still the same way they were 10 years ago. Obviously it is your choice whether to go, but I have a feeling that if you did go, you would be surprised by how people have grown. I didn't encounter once solitary person that was "stuck" in their 1999 persona and "too cool for school". Everyone was just happy to catch up, drink some wine, and then go home.
Yeah...I didn't enjoy high school like you did so I have no desire to reconnect or catch up with anyone. Even if I wasn't going to have a one month old at the time of the reunion, I still wouldn't go.
Delete