Throughout this entire pregnancy I have had a pretty specific vision of how I hope my labor and delivery to go. This is very likely going to be our only child and I would really love to experience everything that labor brings. I know some people will call me naive or even ridiculous for having such a long list of goals and wishes but I am determined to do my best to make it happen. I am not totally opposed to the use of drugs or interventions, especially if my baby's in danger, but I would definitely like to try to labor naturally first. This wasn't going to be an issue with my current midwife--she will allow me to walk around during labor, eat, use the tub for pain management and push in whatever position feels comfortable to me rather than what is convenient for her. I have had some incredibly painful tests during my infertility journey and it was so hard to be still while I was in such pain. I can't imagine being in that much pain for hours and being required to lay flat on my back. In Alabama, midwives are illegal. Yes, you read that right. Midwives are not allowed to attend hospital births and can be prosecuted for attending out-of-hospital births. While I'm not interested in a home birth, I think it should be a choice left up to the parents and not a choice forced on them by state legislation. There is not a single free standing birth center in the entire state of Alabama.
Anyway, I've started my research and found out that there are two hospitals that serve the Fort Rucker area. Flowers Hospital and Southeast Alabama Medical Center. Based off the websites alone, I am leaning toward SE Alabama Medical Center because of the way the birthing suites (complete with jacuzzi tubs!) are set up. Flowers doesn't even mention having tubs and that's important to me. When it comes to choosing an OB, I haven't got a clue. I currently know one woman who is living down there and her OB induced her on her due date because she (the OB) was going out of town and my friend was anxious to meet her baby. Some people might think, "What's wrong with that?" but I personally feel that induction just for the hell of it can lead to potential problems for your baby and that you're almost guaranteed to have a snowball effect of interventions. For this reason, I do not want to be induced unless there is a valid medical reason or baby or I are at risk.
Mike and I had talked about hiring a doula when I first became pregnant. We felt like it would be unnecessary here because my midwife and hospital were so supportive of the type of labor I am hoping for. We thought we'd be able to handle labor and delivery with just the two of us and I liked the idea of Mike being my sole support system during all of it. Now they're we're moving cross country at such a late stage in my pregnancy, with little time to develop a relationship with an OB, we have readdressed the doula issue and have decided to hire one. We feel like she will be a tremendous help in the delivery room when it comes to advocating our wishes to the staff and helping us be successful with our goals. Mike and I won't be able to attend any child birth classes with the timing of our move and upcoming training he has so a doula will be a great resource for relaxation and pain management techniques. She won't take the place of Mike but will be there to guide him to fill the supportive role I will need during labor and delivery. I've already contacted a doula and received a response! She doesn't really care for any of the OBs down there but suggested one that I was actually considering because someone else suggested that he was natural birth friendly. She said he's allowed her clients to eat/drink, walk around, refuse IV meds, use only intermittent fetal monitoring, etc. Since I won't have a lot of time to "interview" OBs once we get down there I guess I will have to make an informed decision based on the opinions of others. I've made a list of my labor and delivery goals to help me figure out exactly what I'm hoping to find in an OB. Wish me luck!
Home Labor Goals
I would like to labor at home as long as possible, with our doula present, before going to the hospital.
Hospital Labor Goals
- We plan to have myself, my husband and doula present. Please turn away all visitors and unnecessary staff until we have had time alone with our baby.
- We are attempting to have a natural, un-medicated birth without unnecessary medical or chemical intervention.
- We understand that there are procedures which may become necessary.
- Please do not offer me pain medications or ask me to rate my pain.
- Except in the case of an emergency, we ask that we be given the opportunity to accept or refuse any procedure or medication.
- We request that the least invasive or restricting versions of procedures be used.
- I prefer to have minimal monitoring and limited vaginal exams.
- I prefer not to have any unnecessary medications or interventions.
- I would like to the opportunity to be up and moving around as much as possible during labor.
- I would like to push at my own pace (Mother-directed pushing.)
- I do not want an episiotomy unless medically necessary. I prefer to try perineal massage and a warm compress first.
- I would prefer to push in whatever position is comfortable for me, rather than the traditional back and stirrups position.
- If labor seems to be stalling I would like the option to try different positions to get the baby to come down (hands and knees, squatting, birthing ball, etc.)
- Upon delivery I would like the baby to placed on my chest right away. I would like to have at least 1 hour of skin-to-skin contact before the baby is taken away for measurements.
- I prefer to breastfeed our baby as soon as possible after delivery. I prefer not to be disturbed until after the first feeding.
- We prefer to wait to cut the cord for 1-2 minutes or until it has stopped pulsating. Please offer my husband the opportunity to cut the cord.
- Please retain my placenta for encapsulation.
- I would like my doula to be allowed to take photos during the entire labor and delivery process.
If a Cesarean Becomes Necessary:
- I would like to be conscious with my husband and doula in the room. I would still like to nurse our baby as soon as possible and for my placenta to be retained.
Recovery Goals
- I would like the baby to room in with us rather than in a centralized nursery.
- I would like either my husband or myself to be present for baby's first bath.
- I would like to establish a strong breastfeeding relationship. Please do not introduce a bottle or pacifier without notifying us of a medical reason.
- I would like to meet with a lactation consultant to have breastfeeding techniques checked.

Wow, what a great birth plan! I've never even thought of half of these things.
ReplyDeleteHow shitty that midwifery is illegal in Alabama! I can't actually believe that there are STILL states that make midwifery illegal, sigh!
ReplyDeleteThat's a wonderful birth plan you've come up with and I think you're doing the best you can in the situation you're going to be in. Good luck to you and I hope hope hope that you get the natural birth that you're looking for!
I know, it really is sad and frustrating. Hopefully the OB that the doula suggested will work with me rather than against me.
DeleteGREAT birth plan. Very detailed. I bookmarked it as reference for when I create mine down the line! Thank you!
ReplyDelete