Originally, my plan to breastfeed was because we started trying the month I turned 22 years old and we wanted to save money. Breastfeeding is relatively free compared to formula feeding and my husband and I had planned for me to stay at home with the children and saving money where ever we could would be helpful to make that happen as stress free as possible.
It wasn't until I started frequenting online forums that I came across the notion that breastfeeding doesn't work for everybody. I had absolutely no knowledge of the specifics of how it worked, except a basic understanding that I had nipples and breasts for a purpose. I started to see that there were a lot of moms of all ages that had personal issues about breastfeeding, whether they were skeeved out by it or they felt guilty that they didn't want to do it or that they were absolutely determined and then had bumps in the road that they didn't foresee or they literally couldn't physically do it. I guess that is true with any online community, since there is a concentrated amount of women in one place, you begin to think that issues are more common than they really are or you are suddenly exposed to issues that are common that you had not previously been exposed to.
After 6 months of trying to conceive, I began to have bleeding problems and we knew that we were encountering fertility issues. All thoughts of breastfeeding really went on the back burner. While most people during their trying to get pregnant journeys research all of the parenting aspects that they think they will pursue, parenting in general became way too painful of a topic for me.
After the one year mark of trying to conceive and officially crossing over into the Infertility side, I met one of my cousin's girlfriend's friend's wife. (Did you follow that?) We were decorating Christmas cookies and this girl had brought over her brand new baby and she was breastfeeding him at the table while we were decorating cookies and she had him in a sling. She was the most peaceful and content looking mom I had ever seen or experienced and I was intrigued. I began to spend more time with Miranda over the next year that we lived in Wisconsin and I just watched and absorbed her nursing her son. It was always so peaceful and her baby always seemed happy and she was always holding him in the most loving way and I had just never experienced or noticed such a thing before. I had never seen a mom so peacefully in love with their child... it's so hard to explain what watching this relationship between Miranda and Keegan did inside my heart. Infertility was the hardest thing I have ever gone through and watching moms with their children broke my heart, but watching the peaceful way Miranda loved on her baby boy was sort of a balm on my broken heart. I loved being around them and even though I hardly got to hold Keegan because Miranda always held him, I loved witnessing such a beautiful thing in their nursing relationship.
The image of Keegan and Miranda stuck with me the next three years of trying to conceive. After 2 years of trying to conceive, we began to think about infant adoption and then after 3 years, we went to a seminar. While we discovered that it was not for us at that time, I had begun to research induced lactation with an adopted child. I read a little bit about it and I had seen the bond that Miranda had with Keegan and I thought that breastfeeding would increase my bond with my child.
When I found out that I was pregnant, I began to research breastfeeding and child birth more. Of course, I asked my source, Miranda, for her advice on a book to get me started and she steered me towards La Leche League's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I bought the most current version on Amazon and devoured it as soon as it came in the mail. I marked up the margins and underlined and starred so many passages. I felt so empowered after reading that book and also found myself suddenly much more educated on natural child birth. I also read The Nursing Mother's Companion and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding. I learned so much about how breastmilk was produced, how the baby's bodies were designed to eat breastmilk starting with colostrum, I learned all that I could and soaked it up like a sponge. I had no idea until I started reading about it that there were countless health benefits for both me and the baby... I thought I was just being frugal by wanting to breastfeed... and then later, I witnessed the emotional connection. Now I was learning about the physiological workings inside my body and inside my baby's body and how breastfeeding worked exactly and what kinds of effects that would have on my mental health and my physical health and my baby's physical and mental health. I felt 100% determined to make it work, no matter what the cost at this point.
When I started educating myself about the miracles and wonders of breastfeeding, I educated Jack as well. When we had learned all that we could, after reading countless online resources and as many breastfeeding articles as I could and the books, my husband and I had come to one undeniable conclusion... How could I NOT breastfeed?
- were you exposed to breastfeeding as a child? Was it the 'norm' in your family culture?
- what did you do to prepare for breastfeeding?
- Does it really come naturally?
To be continued.....
I love this post! I'd love to breast feed even though I've been told it will be extra hard with twins. Still going to try though :) Thanks for posting this--it makes me even more determined to make it work (or at least try everything I can to do so!)
ReplyDeleteI am guessing with all the research you have done you might already know this but just in case! While your still pregnant check your area for breastfeeding support groups, near me we have TONS. La Leache is the biggest one, baby cafe...there theres just small ones around. Its SO important to have those phone numbers on hand. Breastfeeding can be REALLY hard, but once you get the hang of it its the best thing in the world. I also suggest after she comes surrounding yourself with mothers who were successful at BF. If your having issues call your friends, and USE the resources they can be amazing. My daughter spent a few days in the NICU so they broke all the rules, she had pacifiers, bottles, formula, and she wasn't nursing to help my milk come in...I pumped every 3 hours and luckily the day before she came home my milk came in...it was hard at first but we made it..shes now 4 weeks old & BFing like a champ!! Also my friend told me that only 2% of woman TRULY cannot breastfeed..theres a million ways to make it happen if you want it to!<3
ReplyDelete