Oct 20, 2011

IVF Consultation.

Wow, what an emotional two weeks! I cried all the way to the airport but I am now home from sister's house and back to reality.  My fridge is empty and I really need to go buy some groceries but I have more important things to do--like blog!

As most of you know by now, we are currently being treated at an Army hospital. Everything up to this point has been covered through the military but we will have to pay for IVF ourselves.  The ER and ET is done at an off post facility but my meds and monitoring would be done on post, making the entire process a bit discounted.  The trade off is that the waiting list is a year long. We are on the list for July of 2012. We've decided to look into other options.

We have an IVF Consultation scheduled with a civilian clinic for next Tuesday! We're paying OOP for the office visit, just so we can meet the new doctor and get a second opinion before making our decision to switch clinics.  Mike is leaving for training  on the 27th so I was really worried that we wouldn't be able to be seen before then.
First, I called the clinic and an actual person answered the phone, NOT a nurses line messaging service. Huge bonus, especially considering I called the clinic on post this morning and it took them hours to return my call.
Secondly, they got us in right away! I've never had that happen before! I think I like the civilian world already, especially considering that my follow up from failed IUI #4 isn't until 28 November on post.

I am nervous and scared but super excited at the possibility of this happening in the much nearer future. If we stay with the clinic on post it won't be until next July.  So, my fellow IVFers, what are the important questions to ask?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that this is happening. I hope the off-post clinic is everything you want & need it to be. I'm sure IVF will be much sooner off-post and that's SUPER exciting. You are (at least to a few of us) the IF queen, meaning we look up to you and see you as, in a way, a leading light. I really (truly honestly) can't wait until your dream comes true. You truly deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lisa. You brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you'll be able to get in sooner. Even if E. wasn't deployed, we wouldn't be able to do IVF #1 until January. I've already asked questions about the drug protocol and received a tentative timeline for stimming, monitoring, retrieval, and transfer. I hope this clinic is what you're looking for! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly, girl! I can imagine going through all of this AND being military. Hats off to you! Like, several hats!

    I work with lots of military families (deaf kiddos). It's a good thing you're able to check out off post options. I hope it works out for you!!!!

    (Here from ICLW)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!