Yesterday I posted about my struggle to resume eating meat, after having been a vegetarian for almost two years--THANK you for all the responses. It's been a struggle the past two weeks because I've been waking up every night craving different meat dishes that I haven't had (or wanted) in forever. Baby has other plans for me apparently--I blame my carnivorous husband since this kid IS half his.
Around 3 pm yesterday, the craving became insatiable. I was like a caged animal just pacing around my living room. I tried eating a PB&J to see if that would help--it did nothing and was a little difficult to choke down. Then I finally just said, "Okay, baby...." and started putting on my boots. I began to think of options near my house. Subway, sure....but then that'd require me to put on real clothes and ::gasp:: a bra. Drive thru it is. Definitely not the healthiest option but since we don't have any meat in the house and I needed something quick, I headed to Jack.in.the.Box. for a Grilled Chicken Club.
The guilt started as soon as the teenager in the drive thru window handed me the bag and it continued all the way home. I had to remind myself that whether or not I ate the sandwich, the bird was already dead. When I got home I cut the sandwich in half because I wanted to start out slowly with a small amount. I think I ate half of my fries before I finally got up the courage to take the first bite--I felt like I was having a spiritual crisis. Like the world's biggest hypocrite for buying in and supporting a system that I am 100% against but then I reminded myself to listen to my body--obviously my diet as of late has not been all that great (Hellooooo food aversions!) and I am probably missing something that the pregnancy needs. If I have to eat meat for my baby then I'm going to do it.
I took the first bite and it tasted way better than I care to admit. Grilled chicken + bacon after almost two years was almost like a mouth orgasm. I'm ashamed to admit that. However, I'm happy to report that there have been no adverse side effects from eating half the sandwich. Let's see now if the craving is satisfied or if I will have to continue down this carnivorous path.
Your post is too cute, seriously. You;re right, the chicken was dead regardless if you decided to eat him or not :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe baby will not crave meat throughout the whole pregnancy. If I may ask, will you give the little one a choice on eating meat when old enough?
HA! Mouth orgasm. Yes, anything with bacon makes it 10 times more delicious. :)
ReplyDelete