Unless you live under a rock, you've probably seen the news that the Seattle area has been hammered with horrible winter weather this week. It started with a little snow and now it's a full on ice storm. In most states this wouldn't be a huge deal but Western Washington is not at all equipped to deal with weather like this so things are pretty scary. It was reported on the news yesterday that over 700 accidents had been reported to the WA State Patrol in a 24 hour time period. The Governor has declared a State of Emergency and police are advising us to stay indoors because of trees falling everywhere.
Mike hasn't been to work since Tuesday and we've lost power a few times--last night Mike gave me my PIO shot while holding a flash light in his mouth. Now THAT'S trust. I didn't make it to my midwife appointment yesterday so it's rescheduled for the 30th. There are over 200,000 homes without power and our power company is estimating that somewhere around 800,000 people are without power. I'm so thankful ours came back on a few hours ago! After living in upstate NY for nearly six years I am SO over extreme winter weather. Luckily we have a gas fireplace, plenty of food and I was able to heat water on our gas stove this morning--I had oatmeal (with Golden Syrup-Yum!) and Mike had grits. I'm baking some bread right now so that I can cook French toast later for dinner. I'm supposed to drive to my RE's office an hour away tomorrow to get my blood drawn but I don't think that will be happening--they got hit with even worse weather and the snow/freezing rain is supposed to carry on through the night. I was supposed to be off the PIO shots by the end of this week too (yay!) but now I'm not sure what's going to happen since I can't get my levels checked.
Several of our neighbors have trees falling down but luckily we don't have any close to us to worry about. One of my neighbors decided it'd be a good idea to go outside and start smacking his trees with a rake to loosen up some of that ice. The mayor of Seattle was on the news advising people on the dangers of bringing bbq grills indoors. Darwin effect, I tell you!
For any of my readers in the Seattle area, please stay safe and warm!
 |
| Bailey was really enjoying the power outage |
 |
| Branches in our front yard |
|
|
 |
| Driveway--we couldn't leave even if we wanted to. |
 |
| The branches of the pine trees are sagging from all the weight |
 |
| Ice accumulation on our bird feeder |
oh wow! I remember those days.. People abandoning their cars, getting stuck on a hill in West Seattle for hours! The hills are just crazy there. I hope you guys stay safe and warm!
ReplyDeleteStay safe out there! Sounds like you've got a pretty good setup to ride it out. Yeah, if the RE can wait, I'd stay home too. Love the pic of your cute pooch snoozin' in front of the fire. :)
ReplyDelete