Jan 21, 2012

10 weeeks

10 Weeks!
How big is baby? The size of a prune. About 1.2 inches!
Symptoms: Still gagging/dry heaving a TON and throwing up whenever I have any sort of food in my stomach. Blech.  I'm also having very, very vivid dreams. Last night I dreamed I had to hide my cats from the Nazis (WTF?) and that I was being attacked by a killer placenta--only it didn't look like a normal placenta. It looked like that thing from the Alien movies that attaches itself to your face. It was creepy. My boobs are also huge. I only have one bra left that fits halfway decently. I've also been dreaming about food--a lot. Then I wake up even more starving. I honestly think this kid is determined to return me to a carnivore because I've been dreaming about pulled pork sandwiches. Random, right?
Total weight gain/loss: None
Maternity clothes? Jeans and a few shirts.
Sleep: My back has been hurting, even with a pillow between the legs. I'm still up frequently to pee (It's only going to get worse, right?) and having trouble going back to sleep so I end up awake from 4-6 and then end up sleeping until 9 at least.
Best moment this week: A friend telling me I'm actually starting to show. I think that Mike and I also decided on God Parents though we will have to confirm our choices once we meet with our Priest on post. Another great moment that's not baby-related was booking our tickets to see family in March! I've already nominated Mike to change every one of Charlotte's diapers- he needs the practice.
Movement:   None that I can feel.
Food cravings: I did crave Thai this week and it was so good. Mango curry with tofu. Yummmm!
Gender:  Too early.
Labor Signs:  Nope.
Belly Button in or out?  In.
What I miss:  Sleeping and eating like a normal person. I hope at least the eating thing gets better soon.
What I am looking forward to: Feeling the baby move.
Next Appointment: 1/27 for another ultrasound and then I will graduate to the OB!
Weekly Wisdom:  Barf buckets are still a pregnant woman's best friend.
Milestones: The baby's tail is gone. :) No more estrogen patches! I'd probably be off the PIO too if I was able to make it to get my blood drawn yesterday but the ice storm fixed that. Hopefully I'll be off the PIO by the end of this week!



I had to reschedule my midwife appointment due to the ice storm and now we're not being seen until the 30th--I'll be almost 12 weeks and graduated from the RE at that point.  Mike and I have been discussing the NT scan a lot and we're still torn. We are both young, healthy and have no family history of anything like Down's or heart defects. As far as I can think the only risk factor we have is the fact that we did IVF, which has been linked to slightly increased rate of birth defects. We want to be prepared if there are any potential problems but I'm worried about getting bad news only to find out everything is perfectly fine (it happened to a friend) and I already know that it wouldn't change the outcome of this pregnancy. We will love our baby no matter what, we'd just like to be prepared. However, if we do get bad NT scan results I already know that I would not do an amnio due to the risk of miscarriage. I just don't know what to do! If you are a mom or an expectant mom, how did you make this decision?

6 comments:

  1. I have opted out of all genetic testing, so that includes the NT scan. I am kind of bummed that I won't get to see the kid at 12 weeks (holy shit that's only 2 weeks away) but we also do not have any family history of any genetic conditions that they are looking for. I would not change anything about the pregnancy or do an amnio if I were to get positive results and the rate of false positives for these tests is crazy high, something like 90% of the positive tests turn out to be false positive. Since the results will have no effect on my actions and it will only cause stress I decided it's not worth it in my book. Good luck on this decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also decided not to do the genetic testing. Since it won't change the outcome of the pregnancy- just worry you (and sometimes for no reason) I chose against it. It's a tough call though because getting to see your little one again is always nice :) Good luck on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this conversation tonight at dinner with one of my girlfriends who is currently 26 weeks along. She had told me they decided against it as well. No need for the extra stress. and I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to have one due to my age and diabetes when I was pregnant with Button. But I didn't stress about it. I just looked at it as a way to be prepared, if we needed to be. Otherwise, it was just another way to see the baby. The results came back fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little bump is so cute:) Theres hope with the peeing so much in the middle of the night...for me it got better in the second trimester, and came back in the third...so you might get a little break there:) I wasn't even offered the testing. But I wouldn't have done it because it doesn't change anything. I would have liked to know just to prepare, but Ive heard way to may cases where they worried the mother for absolutely nothing. And no matter how many books you read it can never fully prepare you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!