Apr 16, 2011

Sock it to Infertility.

I joined TheKnot.com when I started planning my wedding in 2004. M was in boot camp and I stumbled across a board for Military Brides. I met a lot of wonderful women on there--several of whom I met in real life! It's been seven years and many of us still keep in touch through Facebook. Internet strangers that are more real to me than any of the friends I grew up with.
About two years after M and I got married I moved to TheNest.com and started chatting on a board called Babies on the Brain. Pretty self-explanatory, right?  It was on this board that learned about Charting my BBT, Cervical Mucous and Timed Intercourse.  Babies on the Brain turned sex into a science experiment and I became addicted to peeing on sticks. Many women on BOTB got pregnant right away and most of the names that I recognize  probably have multiple children by now.  I never expected that it'd take me THIS long to have one of my own.
Recently, since we started treatments, I started posting on the Infertility Board on TheBump.com. The majority of the women posting there have already passed me on their IF journey and are doing IVF. There are a few women who are still doing TI or IUI but it seems like most of them are IVFers. Our diagnosis is unexplained infertility--which, for those of you who are also unexplained, you know that there's not a whole lot of literature out there for us. The IF books have loads of information on PCOS, MFI, etc. but not too much insight into unexplained IF.  If you could explain it, I guess it wouldn't be unexplained, right?
Since I began posting on the IF board I have learned a lot of things that I didn't even know about infertility. Like the fact that your chart can show a clear ovulation pattern without your body actually releasing an egg.


WHAT?! This is all the more reason for my RE to do 7DPO blood work on me--blood work that they refuse to do for whatever reason. M is going to my next follie check with me on Tuesday and we plan to have a long talk with the doctor about pursuing additional testing before moving onto IUI and going out of pocket.
For all of my readers (is anyone out there?)  isn't it strange that I've never had CD3 and 7DPO testing? Gah! Army doctors!

Back on topic. Anyway, the point of this entire blog entry was to talk about Lucky Socks. Lucky socks? How do socks relate to fertility? Well, they don't. Not really...BUT, you see, women with infertility often spend a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of time with our feet in stirrups. Supposedly a nurse suggested to an infertile woman, "Wear fun socks; they're good conversation starters." This has led to many exchanges of "Lucky Socks."  I just participated in one on The Bump. I bought my person a pair of black knee high socks with rainbow stripes and I sent her some good German chocolate for good measure.
There is another opportunity to participate in a Lucky Sock Exchange! "I am asking my friends and family (and strangers!) to donate a pair of socks to an infertile woman and to spread the word about infertility. I'm not talking a pair of boring white socks; I'm talking a NEW pair of funky, fun, goofy, conversation starting socks!!!"  You can find the full details by clicking on this link: 
Sock it to Infertility Event
I guess that's it for now. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. As last night was my last dose of Clomid, I hope I can sleep without being drenched in sweat tonight!

1 comment:

  1. I always wear goofy socks lol... always have since I was a little kid. Jack used to tell me that was one of the reasons he fell in love with me :)

    Good Luck with the Clomid dear <3

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!