Mike and I are beginning to feel like we should just move into MAMC on post! We are going there for so many appointments anyway, might as well move in!
Today was Mike's urology consult. His flight surgeon, Doc Adam, was nice enough to get the ball rolling for us after the two s/a's and Mike's blood work up.
We arrived at the hospital and in good ole Army fashion--we waited. While we were waiting Mike's phone kept vibrating with texts from work--NCOIC stuff and they needed him there. Not knowing what kind of doctor appointment Mike was at one of the guys texted, "Be sure to have the doc examine your prostate." I laughed.
We sat in the treatment room for about 40 minutes before someone came in. CPT B, a urology resident (remember MAMC is a teaching hospital) who asked Mike some questions like when he started puberty, if he was exposed to any toxins at work, if he frequently used hot tubs, had we tried timed intercourse, if we used any lubricants, etc. Then he said, "Okay. Well I'm going to have to examine your genitals." I had to keep myself from yelling, "I told you so!" to Mike because he insisted that the urology "consult" was only going to consist of talking. He didn't want to listen to me even though he knows I've always got my nose in some book about infertility. He got a taste of what it's like to be a woman and have to endure the GYN exams.
So Mike drops his pants and the doctor examines him. Then the doctor says, "Okay, I'm going to do a rectal exam now." Without hesitation Mike responded, "FUCK ME! Oh, sorry sir." It was all I could do to keep from laughing. Mike apologized to him again for freaking out but CPT B assured him it happened all the time.
CPT B left the room and said he'd be back with LTC B, the head of the urology department and the IF specialist, in just a few minutes. We waited another half an hour but at least we had something to talk about. Mike's first comment? "I deserve ice cream now. I feel so violated."
LTC B came in the room and asked us how long we had been TTC. We told her 19 months and explained the timing because of the deployment. I told her that I chart my BBT and also use OPKs and then she examined Mike. She found no varicocele or anything else in the physical exam that was cause for concern, which was great news. She also went over everything from the semen analyses and blood work.
12 July S/A
Volume 3.0
Count: 53 million
Motility: 43%
Morphology: 47%
12 Aug S/A
Volume: 2.5
Count: 89 million
Motility: 40%
Morphology: 69%
FSH and LH results were completely normal so there was no need to test his testosterone levels.
She said that even the motillity is a little low it is nothing to be overly concerned about and that based on the results there is no reason we shouldn't conceive. It was really nice that she went over everything with us, including treatments that we may consider in the future, but then it went downhill. She told us that we're young, that we shouldn't stress or feel pressure to have a family, and that we should try for another year. Another year? He could be getting ready to deploy again by then! All I can say is thank GOD we already have an appointment with the RE on the 20th and didn't have to get a referral from HER! She told us "good luck and when it happens we want pictures! Of the baby, I mean." She was a very cool and laid back doctor and I really liked her up until the point she told us we were young and shouldn't worry. Though I guess she was advising us based on Mike's test results. After all, she's not my doctor and knows nothing about my cycles or girly bits.
On our way out of the office Mike said, "Do you have everything? I feel like we left something. Oh I did. My butthole virginity." Haha.
I am a very analytical person and I thought we were going to march into this appointment found out that X was wrong and we need to do Y and Z to fix it. I'm happy that there is nothing wrong with Mike and we are not dealing with MFI but now I feel like our IF is all my fault...and we still don't know what is wrong. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!