Dec 13, 2012

The Man With the Bag

Do you participate in the tradition of Santa Claus? Or will you with your kids?

We had Santa in our home when I was growing up. I believed in him for a long time--until I was in fourth grade. I still remember when I found out he wasn't real. I remember being upset but certainly not devastated. Maybe because of my age?

I know he's a Christmas tradition and all but I am truly torn. I just don't want to.be responsible for breaking my little girl's heart when she finds out he's not real.

So....what's your take on the man with the bag?


3 comments:

  1. We don't want anything else on Christmas besides Jesus & his gift of salvation. For us, that's more than enough magic and to celebrate.

    My parents and Jacks parents all did Santa & the tree & the works, and I don't think we are worse people because of it.

    We just have a lot more specific convictions than our parents had, not saying that doing it another way is wrong, but it's not right for us.

    I have no idea how we will handle cousins or friends that have parents who do pretend about Santa, but there are a lot of people who don't do Santa and don't spoil it for others.

    I figured out Santa when I was 8/9. My parents got divorced and Santa's handwriting was eerily similar to my mom and dads. It wasn't crushing, and I wasn't scarred by my parents lies about Santa being real and I never resented them for faking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I think it's a fun tradition and I liked it growing up. I wasn't hurt or devastated because I was told about the story of St. Nick. I think we will do it for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember ever REALLY believing in Santa, but my Grandpa always dressed up in the suit to hand out presents at Christmas and that meant a lot to the whole family. When he passed away, other men in the family took turns playing the role.

    I don't have kids yet, so I'm not sure what I'll eventually tell them. I think I'd prefer to tell them about the story of Saint Nicholas/Santa Claus in different countries, and about how people dress like him at Christmas and give out presents in his name as a gesture of goodwill and generosity... but then my kids will be the rotten bums in kindergarten telling everyone else Santa's not real, and I'll get hate mail from other parents!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!