Several family members met us there as well, which made the weekend extra fun! I was shocked at how much disrepair there still was after almost 8 years. Very sad. I don't remember watching the news much in 2005 so I read up a lot about Katrina while we were there and my heart was just breaking. I'm so glad so much of the city has been able to recover.
Sidenote: This is NOT a stroller or handicap friendly city. My sister-in-law's mother was in a wheelchair and could not use the side walks the majority of the time due to broken concrete or tree roots. We had the same issue with the stroller but luckily we had taken our BOB with us so it handled the obstacles a lot better than a regular stroller would have. Just keep this in mind while traveling with a stroller or wheelchair.
We stayed downtown and spent the majority of the time in the French Quarter and area. I have never been in a city so alive with music--I LOVED it. We did not get beignets from Café Du Monde (or anywhere else for that matter) and we didn't get to see Marie Laveau's grave--we walked all the way to the cemetery only for it to be closed.
It was HOT (and smelly!) but we had a good time. I used all of my carriers and Hazel did great in the jogging stroller. We ate a TON of really good food and really enjoyed ourselves. I don't think we'd go back, except maybe to see the city decorated for Christmas. The pictures pretty much tell the story....
| On the way to the Big Easy! |
| Watching the USMC Jazz band perform. |
| St. Louis Cathedral |
![]() |
| Muffeletta Sandwich |
| Pirate's Alley |
| My niece, Gabrielle, Hazel and I |
| The Mighty Mississippi |
| We walked down one block of Bourbon Street to get to dinner. A stripper (hooker?) thought Hazel was cute. |
| Good morning, NOLA! |
| Even Hazel was feeling the music! (This tambourine came home with us. She LOVES it!) |
| World War II Museum |
| BBQ Shrimp and Grits |
| Chicken Jumbalaya |
| Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 |
| Definitely the most interesting place I've NIP. |
| Me in front of one of Anne Rice's former houses. |
![]() |
| Tootsies |
| I fell in love with this tradition of having a "Second Line" parade after a wedding. What a wonderful way to start a new life together! |


Looks like so much fun!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fab trip! Happy anniversary!
ReplyDelete