The first experience was in the infertility group I started for the military wives in my area. I started it when I was in a really dark place and felt like the only military wife in existence who wasn't a mom. I quickly realized that I wasn't and within a couple weeks there were over 20 women in the group. Over the past year the group has been a great sense of support and an outlet to vent my frustrations. We met up for lunch several times and it was so refreshing to be with women who understood what I was going through. Since that first meeting, several of us have moved on to pregnancy and motherhood but there are still many women who are struggling. When I became pregnant I kind of unintentionally abandoned the group because I didn't know how anyone would receive advice coming from someone who had moved on and was now pregnant. I know that when I was going through treatments it was always hard to be around or hear from pregnant women, whether they struggled or not. I guess I was just trying to be sensitive, afraid of hurting anyone. When so many of us moved on, the group kind of fizzled and died so last week I attempted to rectify that, still walking on eggshells because I didn't want to upset anyone with my profile picture of my new little family. It's hard, being on the other side. Just because I know what they're feeling and I sometimes feel guilty that I've found success and they haven't. But then I think about how long it's taken us to get to this point and it reminds me that I fought hard to get here and Mike and I deserve all the happiness that Hazel has brought into our lives. I've just been on the 'infertile and childless' side for so long that I'm still learning how to live life on the other side.
Despite having a beautiful baby in my arms, yesterday's experience took me right back to the 'infertile and childless' days. We were at a going away BBQ for Mike and were asked the question, "Are you going to have more kids?" Well hell, this was almost as tough to answer as the, "Do you have kids?" question when we were going through treatments! I explained that it took us almost four years to get Hazel and that she was an IVF baby, which was received with questions like, "What's IVF?" "Was it expensive?" "Does it make you more fertile?" That led to a discussion between the wives on how it only took them two weeks and two months to get pregnant and how extremely fertile they are. Well isn't that nice? Mike was nice and replied with a smile, "Well we're not that lucky..." while I ignored them and was starting down at Hazel in her ring sling, thanking God that I did not have to endure that conversation with empty arms. I had anxiety the entire time other people were holding Hazel and I couldn't wait to get home.
When one of the guys asked us how it was going with the baby he said, "It sucks, doesn't it?" I told him no. He said, "Come on, it sucks. Don't lie." Seriously dude? Guess it's easy to take it all for granted when your wife can get knocked up on the first try. Apparently the bitterness never leaves. Once an infertile, always an infertile.
And cause this post is a major downer--here's some new pictures of Hazel to lighten the mood.
| Look at that chub! She weighed 12 pounds at my last midwife appointment! |

I know how you feel. I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant with twins--after 5 years, 2 surgeries, and two rounds of IVF. People constantly ask "are you going to have more". I just want to reply--if only you knew what we went though to get these two! :)
ReplyDeleteOh Megan, I admire you a lot and look up to you for information and ways to go about doing things when it comes to infertility. You are a strong woman like super woman. I hope to one day to overcome the same battles you went through and am able to look back like you do and help others. I could only imagine how you felt at that BBQ but I am sure I would be the same way, I always feel awkard when people ask me if we have kids because I know I dont want to explain our story which they dont want to know and I dont want to just say no because then they complain about how it is for them to have kids and how nice it must be for us to not have any. Your a hero in your own and such a role model. Enjoy baby Hazel shes yours to have and keep forever nobody can take that joy away from you.
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful! and I love this post :)
ReplyDeleteYes, the sting really doesn't ever go away. After Kate was born from IVF, and even after I had one of those crazy "pregnant on my own without even trying" post-IVF pregnancies, I still get a twist in my gut when women announce their pregnancies. It just leaves a shadow behind. The only thing that has gotten better is that I do have a lot of joy for my friends going through pregnancy. I am so blessed to know that joy, and my heart truly is happy for them. That is a big change. But that twinge? That "wow, they are so lucky, why wasn't I so lucky?" gut punch? Still there.
ReplyDeleteAs for all the questions... just be simple about it. A vague "I don't know" is enough, and it is the truth. The only people I really open up to about my future baby making "plans" (ha!) are my best best best friends who know me, know my history, and aren't idiots. The random acquantances who want to be nosey (or who are just adorably ignorant about what is an appropriate question) get nothing.
Thanks for the post, glad that.... I don't even know how to say this nicely, thanks for sticking around after you had a baby? Remembering us INfertile Myrtles? I saw you got pregnant, I admit, I disappeared for a while. We are still trying, I finally made it to Fort Lewis, and decided to come back to check in and see how you were doing. I was so happy to see your gorgeous Hazel :) She is so dang cute and I am so happy for you and your hubby! I will be back more often, I promise!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post-- I think it perfectly explains how so many of us feel. I don't think it ever gets easier to be around the super-fertiles. And because I had boy/girl twins, everyone tells me "Oh god, you;re done." Yeah, I probably am, but not for the reasons you think. Jerk. >_< Anyway-- Hazel is such a cute little bug! Those cheeeeeeks!!!
ReplyDelete