Aug 9, 2012

Practice Labor?

After having my membranes stripped yesterday I was been having some cramps and a few slight contractions. Sometime in the middle of the night the contractions picked up in  intensity enough to wake me up at least once an hour. While I was laying in bed this morning they started to come more regularly and surprised me with how uncomfortable they were. I got out of bed and tried bouncing on my ball and the contractions kept coming, about 7-8 minutes apart.  I had some breakfast and decided to go for a walk with Zero. Do you know what happened on my walk? The effing contractions slowed down....a lot.  Tjey all but stopped and it was then that my doula told me it sounded like I was having practice labor. Dear Lord. I only pray this doesn't go on for days. I took a wee little nap and unfortunately it was during the Gold Medal Women's Soccer Match but at least I was awake for the finish! I'm still contracting and they're still requiring to breathe through them but it doesn't look like I'll be having a baby today. The bright side is that I've heard all this practice labor helps prepare my body better for the real thing and can make active labor faster. I sure hope so because I'm starting to psyche myself over whether or not I will really be able to handle the real thing.

5 comments:

  1. You'll be able to handle it! Things usually progress slowly enough that you have time to get used to everything that is happening and as the contractions pick up you don't really notice...honestly. At some point you'll be like OMG this is really intense! But it really is a gradual thing that you just sort of flow into. Don't question yourself just give into it and go with it!

    Good luck! Sounds like any day now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dangit!That must have been disappointing! I was thrilled today when I had some spotting between my ultrasound and OB appointment... turns out it was nothing and I'm still only dilated to a 1, right where I've been for the last 4 weeks. These babies of ours must be content in our bellies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, what a waiting game! Good luck as your and your body prep for baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so close!! I'm hoping as I type this, you are in real labor! Girl, you can do this. You are one strong woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still say by the time Monday is out, you will be a momma. :) Fingers crossed for you. I was lucky to have great births with my kids and it's true your body does what it needs to at that time. My biggest piece of advice I give any first time mums is to have faith in yourself, your body and your midwife during delivery. Sometimes things don't go 100% to plan but listen to what you are told by the midwife, it's her job to get you and baby through this in the easiest/best way possible. It worked for me every time. I'm now looking forward to your next posts :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!