Jun 10, 2011

Two Yanks in the U.K.: Part Three

Our final day in London Town--bittersweet!  We were sad to be leaving but so excited to see our family up north the next day. We slept in a little this day and after our breakfast we walked over to Westminster Cathedral (not to be confused with the Westminster Abbey, which we saw the day before) on our way to the train station.  It was a Sunday morning and we were lucky to have a look around before Mass started. We were happily surprised that there was no admission fee AND we were allowed to take pictures.
The guide was so friendly and once he heard we were American he took time to show us a few things around the interior. I guess we must have been expressing our awe in a less-than-graceful manner because he leaned in and with a laugh he said, "That's one thing about you Americans. You sure love the word awesome!"  Haha. Westminster Cathedral was actually built on the foundation of an old prison or women and children. Ironic, right?
Westminster Cathedral
The remains of the last Catholic Priest executed in England. He was hung, drawn and quartered and a Spaniard paid 40 shillings for his body that was eventually brought back to England.



After Westminster Cathedral we hopped back on the tube and headed to Covent Garden, which used to be an open air market for the monks at Westminster Abbey. Not it's full of vendors, street performers, shops, bakeries, etc.

Front of Victoria Station
 
Mike on the Underground
Street performer at Covent Garden      

These guys were fantastic! They had an entire act that we watched for about 20 minutes.

Okay, this ice cream shop was just cool and they had the coolest flavors ever and their music selection was fantastic. 


Natural Stimulant ice cream. Mike asked if I brought any home with me. Ha!


This is what I got. I loooooove white chocolate ice cream.

After ice cream it was time for lunch.  I think we did it a little backwards--whatever. We ate a lot on this trip! :)
Mike made his way through the list of beers and I made mine through the ciders.
My "traditional" English Sunday Lunch. Yorkshire Pudding, potatoes, vegetables and nutloaf. :) It was delicious!

After lunch we headed to Trafalgar Square and walked around because I wanted to see the Twinings Tea Shop. It was closed because it was Sunday but I still got to peek through the windows. On our way we saw the Royal Courts of Justice--holy courthouse batman!




We headed back to the Hard Rock Cafe and were upset to find the wait over two hours. The line wasn't very long so the inside must have been awfully small. I could barely walk at this point--my feet hurt so badly!  We lucked out though--we found the Hard Rock Cafe Pub right around the corner and went in there for a pizza and a few drinks.  When we walked in we saw a group of guys drinking Budweiser and Mike and I immediately pegged them for military. I said to Mike, "Stupid Americans. Who comes to ENGLAND to drink BUDWEISER?"  Mike talked to them a bit and we found out that they were Navy en route to the Middle East and had a few days off while their ship was being readied for the journey. 



We had planned to head back down to Big Ben and Parliament so I could get pictures of them at sunset and at night but I could barely walk, we were exhausted and so we just went back to our hotel for a good night's rest before our journey north. Fare thee well, London Town.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had an AMAZING time :)

    P.S. I tagged you and gave you the versatile blogger award :P
    http://projectopenhearts.blogspot.com/2011/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!