Aug 20, 2010

Update on Mike's Knee and Swimmers

He had his final PT appointment yesterday and met with the head physical therapist today for a consult. His knee has gotten worse! The muscles in his leg have weakened since he injured himself so I can only imagine how much worse he would be if he hadn't been doing therapy to try to maintain the strength.  The therapist wants him to wean himself off the crutches. Insanity! Mike feels like his leg is going to buckle underneath him. He's supposed to start with one crutch and then go to a cane.
Since he doesn't see the orthopedic surgeon until the 31st and he doens't have a surgery date yet they want him to continue PT. He now goes twice a week in addition to pool PT twice a week. Poor guy has to do PT four days a week now!
We also got the results for Mike's second semen analysis. s/a #1 showed that everything was great except the "viability." Mike had 38% viability according to my OB/GYN and I had a hell of a time figuring out what that meant.

According to Mike's doctor:
Mike's count was 50 million
Morphology is great
Mike's motility was only 37% so now I'm wondering if what my OB/GYN meant was motility and not viability.

Mike's doc said that the results are pretty much the same as the first time so that leads me to believe my doctor was wrong in telling me the viability was low. So I said to Mike, "So only 38% of your sperm are moving in the right direction?" He said "Yup. The rest are stupid. They're probably the girl ones." I responded, "Yeah right. I bet the boys are the stupid ones." Mike said, "Yeah you're right. They're probably too busy comparing the size of their tails." Hahaha!

Anyway, his doctor asked Mike if I had been tested and he said yes and that's why he was being tested. I guess he mentioned our referral to the IF so he ordered a consult and a blood work up for Mike which he is supposed to do today.

According to logic and reasoning (and the math of my trusty science geek friend) 38% of 50 million is a lot better than 38% of 'normal' which is 40 million. They like to see 50% motility= 20 million. 38% of 50 million= 19 million which means Mike is just slightly below normal. So while his s/a came back a little low it's not a huge red flag and we still don't know why, after 18 cycles, I'm still not pregnant.

Mike's grandma will be here in a few hours and I hope they have a nice visit even though Mike's SCO just told them that key personnel have to show up for work tomorrow--including QC. What am I going to do with his grandparents for two days? Gah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!