Aug 6, 2010

Our Journey to the Infertility Clinic

M and I started TTC in February of 2008. I began charting and using OPKs. Everything was working as it should but I never conceived and when I asked my doctor about it she dismissed me and said, "You're young. You know too much. Relax and it wi;l happen."  Yeah, right...
He was deployed to Iraq from October 2008-October 2009 and we began trying again in October of 2009. We had a crazy few months that consisted of a trip to Walt Disney World, the holidays, and our cross-country move from New York to Washington.  In March of 2010 I resumed charting and OPKs.  After our 12th month of TTC I made an appointment to see my primary doctor in May. I told her how long M and I had been TTC and about my painful periods. She put in an order for a pelvic ultrasound and a referral to an OB/GYN but we were told we had to try for 12 consecutive months before we could get a referral for a Reproductive Endocrinologist.  Six weeks later I had the ultrasound and saw the ob/gyn. My u/s came back as abnormal (cyst on my left ovary) and I had to wait another six weeks for the follow up u/s. My bloodwork came back clear and my follow up u/s showed that the cyst was gone.

The IF clinic just called me and they are going to mail us a packet to fill out and we have an appointment on 20 Sep for a consult! We will be in our 19th month of actively TTC. Finally having an appointment with the infertility clinic is very bittersweet. I'm THRILLED I finally got someone to take us seriously and we will hopefully be one step closer to holding a baby in our arms. However, I am sad at the same time. We're infertile. We're infertile. We're infertile while people around us are getting pregnant unplanned and having kids they can not afford to take care of. We're infertile and the sight of pregnant bellies makes me want to cry. I hate infertility and I pray to God that we'll be holding a beautiful baby in our arms by this time next year.


Acronyms you need to know:

TTC= Trying to Conceive
IF= Infertility
MFI= Male Factor Infertility
FF= Fertility Friend
OPK= Ovulation Predictor Kit
RE= Reproductive Endocrinologist
AF= Aunt Flo aka Period

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment so I know you've been by. I'd love to come check out your blog too!