M went with me to my follie check this morning. We fully intended to go in there, voice our concerns, and demand more testing. It didn't quite happen that way. I got to see Dr. C. today--he's the head of REI and I haven't seen him since my hysteroscopy, coincidentally, the last time I brought M to an appointment. Hmm.... Dr. C. said our prognosis is good and that he's confident I will be able to get pregnant, it's just a matter of time, seeing what works, etc. I'm "relatively young" compared to most of his patients (Grrr......) so he's not quite ready to start us on more aggressive treatments.
I love Dr. C. He's a civilian and, unlike the Army doctors, he always takes the time to explain things to me. I have two follies this month-- 17mm and 19mm. This was my best Clomid cycle so far and Dr. C. said it would be a great cycle to add in IUI. Originally M and I decided that we'd wait until June to start IUI, mostly because we're saving for our trip to England next month. Dr. C will only let me do six cycles of Clomid before putting me on different drugs, which Tricare does not cover, so we decided to make the most out of this cycle and go ahead with IUI. Even though we have to pay out of pocket for the IUI procedure it will still be less costly than having to pay for IF meds in the future.
The nurse gave me a trigger shot (a syringe of HCG-the pregnancy hormone) this morning that will make me ovulate within 24-36 hours and we will go to Seattle Reproductive Medicine tomorrow for the IUI procedure tomorrow morning. I think I might POAS in the morning, just so I can see what a + pregnancy tests look like.
I can't wait to hear how M explained to his 1SG why he needs half a day off. I wonder how that conversation went--ha ha!
So, we're pretty excited. By adding IUI our chances will increase to about 10%, which is the same as a normal, healthy couple. In the words of Han Solo, "Never tell me the odds....." =) It feels great to finally be moving forward and doing something proactive but I am scared of how I will feel in two weeks if it doesn't work. I need to stay positive though, right?
I've joked with M about how we'll explain to our kids where they came from, since they won't be conceived "the old fashioned way." I wonder what IF patients tell their kids....
Well, for those of you who aren't familiar with the procedure of IUI, here's little video to help you out. Wish us luck tomorrow! <3
P.S. I bruise easier than anyone I've ever met. This is my tummy after this morning's injection with the tiniest needle that I've ever seen.

Wow! I bet that was an unexpected, but welcome, surprise to your doctor's appointment! I'm so excited and nervous for you guys! I'll keep everything crossed for you! ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteWe're almost IUI buddies! I have a surprise IUI this week as well! Went in for regular CD11 monitoring on my Femara, and told nurse that I'm losing my awesome health insurance at the end of this month. I said it sucked because we were going to do IUI next cycle, and she nonchalontly said, how about we do it this cycle? Wow. Uhm.. okay! Haha. Ours will probably be on Friday. GL!! Thanks for the video! It will be helpful in explaining to friends/family! :)
ReplyDeleteGood Luck Megan! I am crossing my fingers and sending up prayers for you!
ReplyDeleteXOXO - Mel